If you’re a looking for an exciting and thrilling bike trip for this upcoming season, Alberta has plenty of fantastic options to explore. With its stunning scenery, winding roads, and vast open spaces, Alberta offers some of the best motorcycle highways in the world.
Here are five of the best trips in Alberta that are sure to give you an unforgettable experience.
1. The Icefields Parkway: Exploring the Canadian Rockies is an unmatched experience and the majestic Icefields Parkway, otherwise known as Highway 93, is your path to explore it. Stretching a total of 232 km from Lake Louise in Banff National Park to Jasper, this scenic drive is renowned for being one of the most spectacular in the world. Built in 1940, there are plenty of sights to take in along the way, most notably the Columbia Icefield, which is visible from the parkway and an absolute must-see.
2. The Cowboy Trail: Take a journey through Alberta's Cowboy Trail, a 735-kilometer route that starts just west of Edmonton and takes you through some of the most scenic small towns that Alberta has to offer. As you travel through Drayton Valley, Rocky Mountain House, Sundre, and Cochrane, you'll experience the beauty of big sky country and the charm of the Old West. The path winds through ranching country along the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rockies, ultimately leading to Cardston in the province's deep south.
3. The Drumheller Valley: This unique area is home to some of the most stunning scenery in Alberta. You’ll be able to explore the badlands, the hoodoos, and the dinosaur fossils that are scattered throughout the region. The history of Drumheller is one of transformation preserved in time. During the Prohibition era of the early 1900s, the region was known for its lawlessness and coalmining wealth. But by 1950, the coal mines had closed and many workers had left, leaving Drumheller in an almost timeless state. You'll find a number of local businesses in and around the Drumheller area where small town hospitality still stands strong. Check out this riders day by day account of their journey: AMA The Weekender.
4. The Kananaskis Trail: Treat yourself to a thrilling motorcycle ride from Calgary to Longview by taking the Trans Canada Highway west and then heading south on Highway 40 through Kananaskis. This scenic route takes you through some of Alberta’s most beautiful forests, rivers, and lakes. As you ride, you’ll be able to catch glimpses of the majestic Rocky Mountains and the many wildlife species that inhabit the area. The Kananaskis Trail is also a great place to take a break and explore some of the many outdoor activities that Alberta has to offer.
5. Yellowhead Trail Edmonton to Jasper: This highway spans through Rocky Mountains of Jasper to Edmonton and beyond, offering some of the best sights in Alberta. Along the way, you’ll be able to take in the stunning scenery of epic mountains, deep valleys, and vast prairies. You’ll also be able to visit some of Alberta’s best stops including the town of Stony Plain, early railway town Hinton, local fill-up town and watering hole Edson and, with a short detour, the heart of Alberta's wilderness in Whitecourt.
Whether you’re looking for an adrenaline-filled ride or a peaceful and scenic journey, Alberta has something for everyone. So if you’re looking for a ride that you won’t soon forget, these Alberta trips are sure to provide you with an unforgettable experience!